27 Mar Carbohydrates
- Carbohydrates are made from Carbon, Oxygen and Hydrogen.
- They are divided into 3 groups as monosaccharides, disaccharides and polysaccharides.
- Monosaccharides are the simplest form of carbohydrates
- Disaccharides are made out of two monosaccharides.
- A glycosidic bond is formed between monosaccharides.
- A water molecule is removed during the reaction hence this is referred to a as condensation reactions.
- They are polymers. Monosaccharides combine through glycosidic bonds to form polysaccharides. Therefore, monosaccharides act as the polymers.
- To become a polymer, a molecule has to fulfil 2 characteristics.
- Glucose is the most common monomer which participates in the formation of polysaccharides.
- Examples of Disaccharides -Sucrose: glucose + fructose, Lactose: glucose + galactose, Maltose: glucose + glucose